A car accident will disrupt all aspects of your life. The first week following a car accident can be the most stressful. You may be dealing with injuries, medical appointments, taking calls from several insurance adjusters, trying to get your car fixed or arranging for an insurance payout so you can buy a new car. If your injuries keep you from working, the lack of income can add to the stress.
Following are five things you should do in the first week after a car accident:
1. If the police did not attend the scene, go to the police station and file an accident report.
2. Get the name, address and insurance company information from the other driver.
3. Report the accident to the insurance company of the car you were in – if you were a passenger or not driving your car, make sure you get the name of the owner of the car and the name of their automobile insurance company. Ask them to mail you the forms so you can apply for Section B Accident Benefits.
4. If you were injured, make an appointment to see your family doctor as soon as possible. If you have received Section B Claim forms, you should take the Doctor’s Form to the appointment with you.
5. Call a lawyer specializing in personal injury claims for a free phone consultation. You likely don’t need to hire a lawyer at this point, but a lawyer can explain your rights and what you can do right now to protect your claim and to get benefits Section B benefits approved.